25 August 2011

ON THE CONTRARY


Cliches are cliches for a reason, we make them so. When I was young, I used to be quite the tomboy. I grew up with my elder brother and naturally, or not, I mimicked his crazy stunts, fought and played with other guys. I followed him everywhere, well…except in high school where I attended a girls only school. Spider man, Juniper Lee, Danger Mouse and Scooby Doo made up my list of favorite cartoons.


I always wore shorts and T-shirts, and loathed dressing up in frilly pink dresses, more so to attend Sunday school. I was a pro with marbles and the famous “punch” that my brother and I indulged in after school. I got thrills from climbing trees (in kikuyu, such a person is known as “wanja kihii”). I even learnt my share of dance moves and rapping skills while practicing with the guys… don’t get me wrong, I still played “cha mama-cha baba”, but I was not big on dolls.


Fast forward to now and here I am, looking forward to life as a grown-up lady, a grown-up lady so in love with a man! Now, I still have some vestiges of that small tomboy in me, and at times I act like I couldn’t care less for the gestures of romance- but don’t be fooled!!!



I want to be wooed with flowers, candles, chocolates and other sweet niceties. I want my hand to be held (even in public), and I want to be looked at with awe, as if the sun rises in my eyes alone. I want the two of us to have a song; our song. I want us to have a favorite spot; our spot. I want a pet name- “Hun” will do just fine. I also want to dance in the rain (does that ever happen?). I want many anniversaries: first kiss, first date, first everything. I want butterflies in my stomach at the thought of my man, and I want to say “I love you” too. I want a proposal that will leave me teary eyed. I want to walk down the aisle as the most beautiful woman and say those vows: “I do”.


I know… I shock myself too, that this once-tomboy in shorts and tees could become girlie and starry-eyed. For now, I wait and anticipate the future. So, on the contrary, despite my “boyish” upbringing, I look forward to it all.

1 comment: